Tuesday, August 1, 2017

German Phrases of a 5 Year Old

I've mentioned before how Jackson & I are learning German differently and that our vocabularies don't always overlap. For example, he doesn't have the vocabulary to order meat at the butcher or make an appointment. And while I might have these words, I usually don't use them correctly grammaticallly. However, he is by far more conversational & can produce thoughts more quickly. I've noticed that he is simply speaking and usually does not translate what he intends to say from English, which I envy. He has a harder time drafting a sentence to express something that he may not have heard before.

His is a more natural learning of speech as a child. However, since he was already 7 with a large vocabulary when he was thrown into a new language in a school environment, he still is making the mental match of the correlating each word as he learns it and can provide a translation of a word when asked.

Now we have added a third tier as Brandtley has started kindergarten.  And his learning is so different from both mine and Jackson's. He doesn't seem to try to understand specific words, but occasionally an entire phrase will pop out of his mouth and surprise us all. (Even if he can't tell you exactly what it means in English!)

It's really amusing to me to hear what these phrases are since he's obviously reflecting what he's hearing repeatedly. He is becoming familiar with ALOT of commands!  So, I thought it would be fun to keep a running list of his first phrases (while I can still count them and before he actually begins speaking).

Note: These aren't necessarily grammatically correct. They are how he repeats them.

1. "Geh zu Toilette!" Go to the bathroom!  (Now when we jumps off the couch to go potty, he will command himself to go in German instead of just commenting on where he is going)
2. "Du kannst nicht mit das spielen!"  You cannot play with that! ( I think he hears this from teaches when he tries to play with something off limits, but he now uses it with his brother!)
3. "Das is gefährlich!" and "Das is sehr gefährlich!" That is dangerous and That is very dangerous! ( I think he must hear this a lot!
4. Gabel, Messer, Stuhl - fork, knife, chair. (I'm guessing he's picking up on what he's being instructed to do with each of these.)
5. liebe kleine Schmetterling - "dear little butterfly" - I think this is from a poem, book, or song that they repeat??? I have no clue, but he says it in this cute little singsong voice :)

Update: Last night as I was cooking dinner, Brandtley asked me "Mommy, what does langsam mean?"
Me: It means slowly. Why, did you hear someone say it?
Brandtley: Oh yeah! My teachers say it to me ALL the time!
(I bet!)


No comments:

Post a Comment